Fall for Runners = Race Season
As a coach, the number one question I get about running is what to eat both before and after a run!? Particularly a race.
This recipe is perfect for BOTH. A little protein, fat, and of course some healthy carbs to helps put some pep in your step.
These bites are not only delicious but super nutritious and with only five ingredients easy enough to make that your child can do it.
I like to make one or two batches of these energy bites when training for a race. I enjoy them either before or after a long run and of course bring as a post-race treat.
**Just remember never try ANYTHING new on race day. If you plan on eating these before your run as fuel, make sure you test out how your body responds to them before using on race day.
LL Health Energy Bites
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
1 cup tightly packed pitted dates – soaked for 30-60 minutes in warm water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
1. Add cashews and salt to food processor and pulse until the size of peas (~5 secs).
2. Pat dry the soaking dates, and add to the food processor for about 15 seconds, or until the mixture easily sticks together when you squeeze with your fingers. If still crumbly, add water 1 tbsp. at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
3. Add vanilla and process until combined. Stir in the chips by hand and roll dough into little balls.
4. Freeze for at least 15 minutes. Store in fridge, freezer, or an airtight container for enjoying at home.
5. Enjoy these tasty little morsels
If you are having trouble finding dark chocolate mini chips try the Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels brand.